Peeks Through Clouds

An effort to brighten darkness with gentle humor and loving truth... a desire to discern both love and truth more and more clearly when I gaze toward Glory... and a spirit-name, properly descriptive, unrequested but received, my own.

View My Complete Profile

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Midnight Jack


Take my blood pressure
right now, Doc,
while my eyes are closed
and my head’s tipped back
against this cool blue vinyl.
As the plane passes  
through the cloud line
gliding down to Raleigh,
the rumble and shake
have taken me back
to summer nights
leaving Grandma’s farm
after dark,
after dessert,
rolling on country roads
with the windows down,
listening to the crickets
and the peepers
and the tires
crunching on gravel.
Get that reading now, Doc,
before I curl up in the back seat
to dream the black miles home,
and a jackrabbit races the headlights
to the mile line and beyond,
finally kicking off into the ditch
to taste victory in our trail of dust.
I can see me now, Doc,
draped over Dad’s shoulder
up the steps
into the house
and into bed
with my clothes still on.
“Don’t wake the boy,” I hear.
“He’s dreaming.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home